Ethnography section of the Nalšia Museum presents handicrafts and trades of the land.
The exposition starts from the agricultural part. The visitors are informed about various tools – from corn trashing tool to bread baker’s peels.
In the museum there are a few old wooden mortars. The oldest one was trimmed with an axe 240 years ago and was found in Kulniškės village.
For bread baking people used a few tools: kneading-trough, wooden paddle or spoon for dough mixing, baker’s peels for bread loaves formation.


The temporary exposition of the History section is divided into a few subjects. In the beginning of the exposition visitors are introduced with the 19th-20th centuries history of Švenčionys town.
Švenčionys is an old town and its sources reach 13th century. In the written sources the town is mentioned in 15th century. For a few centuries Švenčionys belonged to the state manor. In 1795 Lithuania became a part of Russian Empire and Švenčionys was a centre of newly formed Užnerys district. Švenčionys as the district centre started to grow due to exceptional opportunity of trade and handicraft concentration and increased administration functions as well. Švenčionys was granted self-government rights in 1800. In the exposition the main events of the last 200 years are looked over since self-government rights were granted.


The territory of Švenčionys region occupies an area of 1692 sq km. The most valuable natural recourses are forests. They cover 53% of the territory of the region. 87% of forests consist of pine forests. There are 286 lakes in the land of Švenčionys. The biggest is lake Kretuona and it surrounds 6 islands, which are favorite for birds. Lake Kretuona is declared an ornithological reserve. The cleanest rive of Lithuania – Žeimena – flows through the region.